- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 English cucumber, cut into about 36 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 baguette, cut into 12 1/4-inch slices
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed for brushing
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
- Set the oven rack to the middle position and heat it to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey. Add the sliced cucumbers, toss to coat them in the marinade, and set them aside for at least 15 minutes. Stir them once halfway through.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each side of the bread slices with olive oil. Arrange them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake them until dry, lightly browned, and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Flip the bread over halfway through baking. Remove them from the oven and cool them on the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, chives, and dill. If not used right away, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it.
- Drain the pickled cucumbers in a colander over the sink. Using a butter knife, smear a thin layer of cream cheese spread over each piece of crostini.
- Top each with three pickled cucumbers and a slice of smoked salmon. Garnish each with chopped dill and black pepper. Arrange them on a platter and serve
Find the original recipe over at SimplyRecipes.com: